Never fear if you have some stale bread. This is a light delicious pudding with a lovely dark toasted nutmeg crust.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C / Gas 4. Lightly butter an 18 x 23cm baking dish.
- Heat the jam in a pan over a low heat for a couple of minutes until melted. Remove and set aside.
- Butter the slices of pain au chocolat on one side, place them in a large bowl and set aside. Now sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon into the buttered serving dish along with 2 tablespoons of the sugar and all the raisins. Pour over most of the melted jam, reserving a small amount for glazing at the end.
- Whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, vanilla seeds and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon and pour half of this mixture all over the bread. When it has soaked in slightly, arrange the bread in the serving dish so the pieces are overlapping. Continue layering the bread until all the pieces have been used, then pour over the rest of the egg mixture and scatter the surface with the remaining sugar and a light dusting of cinnamon.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 35–40 minutes until golden.
- To serve, brush the pudding with the reserved melted jam and serve immediately.