Who says you can’t have an ice cream sandwich…for breakfast? Not me. Crispy, buttery Churro French toast ice cream sandwiches with your choice of ice cream or frozen yogurt for one of the best breakfasts I think I’ve ever posted on this blog!
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (or natural granulated sweetener) — OPTIONAL
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 french baguette , sliced into 1cm | 1/2-inch rounds to make 12 slices (to serve 6)
- 2 tablespoons butter , divided
- 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar OR 1/4 cup granulated sugar + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional: ice cream or frozen yogurt
How To Prepare
Whisk the eggs and the milk together with the sugar/sweetener, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a wide shallow bowl. Dip the bread into the egg wash, rotating quickly to soak evenly (don’t soak for too long or you’ll end up with soggy french toast).
Prepare a separate shallow bowl with the remaining sugar (or sweetener) and ground cinnamon (or cinnamon sugar if using) for coating, Heat a non stick pan/skillet with 1/2 tablespoon of butter. When the pan is hot, fry the egg-soaked bread in batches of 4 or 5 slices on low-medium heat on each side until golden. Immediately dip each bread into the cinnamon sugar mixture to evenly coat (use tongs to avoid burning your fingers). Fry remaining batch until golden and repeat coating with remaining toasts.
Allow toasts to cool slightly. Take one churro toast; top with a scoop of ice h a scoop of ice cream (or frozen yogurt), and place another toast on top. Gently press the top down to adhere the toast to the ice cream. Serve immediately!