Syllabub makes a luscious topping for a traditional trifle. Swirl it over the top of the custard , or it can even be used instead of the custard.
- grated rind juice of 1 orange
- grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp sweet white wine (non alcoholic)
- 300 ml double cream
- 75 g caster sugar
- Place the fruit rinds and juices in a bowl with the wine and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Strain the liquid through a fine sieve, reserving a few strands of rind for decoration .
- Place the strained liquid, cream and sugar in a bowl and whip until the mixture in soft peaks.
- Spoon into 6 glass serving dishes.
- Decorate with the citrus rind and chill for an hour before serving .
- Serve with brandy snaps or sweet biscuits of your choice.