Open freeze an extra pastry case , then pack the middle with crumpled absorbent kitchen paper, put in a polythene bag and freeze . Cook from frozen when required.
- 225 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 100 g margarine
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp jam
- 600 ml milk
- 50 g caster sugar , plus extra to sprinkle
- 4 egg yolks
- few drops vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Cut the margarine into small pieces and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs .
- Add the water and mix to form a dough.
- Knead very lightly , roll out on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 20 cm/ 8 inch fluted flan ring placed on a baking tray.
- Prick the base with a fork and bake blind in a moderately hot oven for 10 minutes.
- Spread the jam evenly over the pastry.
- Heat the milk over a low heat until lukewarm, then beat in the sugar , egg yolks and vanilla.
- Pour over the jam , sprinkle the nutmeg on top and bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour until firm.
- Serve either hot or cold, sprinkled with a little extra caster sugar.