- 100 g butter or margarine
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 225 g self raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 100 g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 100 g date, roughly chopped
- about 3 tbsp milk
- Line and grease a 1 kg/2 lb loaf tin.
- Cream the butter or margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Fold in the flour , spice, walnuts and dates .
- Add a little milk to make a dropping consistency.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour.
- Insert a skewer in the centre of the cake , if it comes out clean the loaf is cooked.
- Cool slightly before turning out on to a wire rack to cool competely.