For a traditional jam sponge pudding, replace the soft brown sugar with caster sugar, omit the orange rind and replace the marmalade with jam.
- 100 g butter or margarine, softened
- 100 g soft brown sugar
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 175 g self raising flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp orange marmalade
- Grease a 1 liter/2 pint pudding basin.
- Beat the butter or margarine with the sugar until pale and creamy .
- Beat in the orange rind.
- Gradually beat in the eggs. Using a metal spoon, fold in the flour.
- Spoon the marmalade into the bottom of the pudding basin and spoon the sponge mixture on top.
- Covering with a double thickness of greased grease proof paper , folding a pleat to allow the pudding to rise.
- Tie tightly. Steam on a trivet or upturned saucer in a saucepan half full of water for 1 1/2 hours .
- Turn out and serve immediately with hot custard.