Other canned fruits can be used in this recipe. Try apricot halves , peach halves or slices, or pear halves. If you like, make a quick jam sauce to serve with the pudding.
- 25 g butter
- 50 g soft brown sugar
- 1 (227 g/8 oz) can pineapple rings, drained
- 4 glace cherries, halved
- 100 g butter, softened
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- 175 g self raising flour, sifted
- Lightly grease a 15 cm/6 inch round cake tin.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the sugar and pour over the base of the tin .
- Arrange the pineapple rings and cherries decoratively in the base, placing the cherries rounded side down.
- To make the sponge mixture, beat the butter and sugar until soft and creamy .
- Gradually beat in the eggs and using a metal spoon, fold in the spice and flour.
- Spoon the mixture over the fruit in the tin, carefully smooth the top and bake in a moderate oven for about 50 minutes or until the sponge is firm and golden.
- Turn out the sponge on to a serving plate, and serve immediately with custard or cream.