If the apple core does not run straight through the middle, push the corer through from one end first, then from the other to remove all the bits.
- 4 large cooking apples
- 50 g currants or sultanas
- 25 g soft brown sugar
- 4 tsp golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 25 g butter
- Remove the cores from the apples using a corer.
- Slit the skin round the centre of each apple with the tip of a sharp knife to prevent the apples bursting during cooking .
- Place in an oven proof dish.
- Mix together the fruit and sugar , and stuff the apple centres with the mixture.
- Pour one tsp of syrup over each apple , sprinkle over a little ginger and top with a knob of butter.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 40-50 minutes.
- Serve immediately with hot custard.