Desserts from glutinous rice (this is a sort, and not a physical state at all) is an indispensable component of many, if not all, Asian cuisines. It can be cooked in water with sugar, but more often it is cooked on coconut milk. It has quite common and pleasant taste, like ordinary creamy sweet rice.
If you do not find glutinous rice, you can take special rice for sushi. The taste will be similar, although the «stickiness» level will still not be the same. Banana leaves are not so important, instead of them it is recommended to take foil, covered with odorless vegetable oil.
List of required products:
- 2 cups of glutinous rice;
- 1 liter coconut milk;
- 500 ml coconut cream or 1.5 liters of coconut milk;
- 2-2.5 cups of brown sugar;
- banana leaves as desired.
Begin to cook
- Rice should be washed well in filtered water and dried a little on a sieve.
- Put rice into a pan with a thick bottom and pour 1 liter of coconut milk. On medium heat, stirring frequently, bring it to a boiling condition and reduce the heat to a weak one. Cook, not stopping stirring, until it becomes thick. As a rule, you will need 20-25 minutes for this.
- Add 1-1.25 cups of sugar and a pinch of salt. Stirring thoroughly, cook for another 10 minutes. The rice should be very viscous.
- Simultaneously spread the washed banana leaves into a baking dish measuring about 20 x 30 cm so that their ends hang slightly. Banana leaves are not so important, instead of them it is recommended to take foil, covered with odorless vegetable oil.
- Put the finished rice into a sheet-shaped shape and smooth it.
- In a clean saucepan with a thick bottom, mix the coconut cream (or the remaining 500 ml of coconut milk) with the remaining brown sugar. On medium heat, bring everything to a boiling condition and cook until it becomes thick. As a rule, you will need about 7 minutes for this.
- In an even layer, distribute the resulting mixture over the rice lying in the leaves.Put the mold in a preheated up to 200 ° C oven and bake until the top of the dessert becomes thick. That is about 15 minutes.
- Take the dessert out of the oven and cool it completely, without taking it out of the mold. Usually it takes 2 hours. Then lift the leaves, pull them onto the dish and serve.
By the way
If you have not found coconut cream, you can cook this dessert from milk. And you can cheat a bit: buy more coconut milk and open the jar very neatly, without shaking. Usually the milk is divided into a thicker part and more liquid one — and you have to mix them up to homogeneity. So, in the second stem you will need only a more dense part, which is cream.