A plant-based take on this classic English comfort breakfast. Loaded with protein, this is a colorful, nutrient-dense meal that is perfect for any time of the day and showcases how plants can be not only healthy but also delicious. Mix up the components in this breakfast spread to make it your own, and be sure to make extra for those leftovers to snack on.
Recipe by Chad Sarno
- 1 recipe of Tofu Scramble
- 1 recipe of Tempeh Bacon or your favorite plant-based breakfast sausage
- 1 recipe of Quick Baked Beans (recipe below) or 2 cans of baked beans
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 lb baby spinach
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 6 slices of whole grain bread
Quick Baked Beans
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cans of pinto beans, strained and rinsed
How To Prepare
- Follow the recipe instructions and prepare the Tofu Scramble and Quick Baked Beans.
- Using a large skillet on medium to high heat, prepare the vegetables.
- To prepare the tomatoes, slice each in half and sprinkle sea salt and pepper on each sliced side. Lightly spray oil on the pan and place the tomatoes flesh side down on the pan for 3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- To prepare the mushrooms, slice each in half and place mushrooms slide side down on the pan. Place another pan on top to weigh them down and create a better sear. This will help with the coloration of the mushrooms. Allow to sear for 3 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- In the same pan, add the spinach (if it does not all fit in one pan, allow part of the spinach to cook a bit and add more as needed). Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes while turning best that you can. Add a sprinkle of sea salt to the spinach, followed by a splash of water. Remove from heat and place a lid over the pan to finish steaming.
- Toast the bread and assemble all components of the breakfast on large plates.
- Quick Baked Beans: In small sauce pan on medium heat, add all the ingredients except the beans and bring to a simmer, whisking well. Once simmering, turn to low heat and add the beans. Stir gently and thoroughly, and allow to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Remove from the heat and serve with the rest of the breakfast.
- Add your favorite plant-based cheese to the Tofu Scramble for a richer, creamier version.
- To bump up the protein in this dish, leave out the toast and add your favorite high protein plant-based sausage.