Butternut Squash Chili recipe made with ground beef or turkey, butternut squash, vegetables, and spices makes a hearty and delicious chili recipe! Recipe includes changes for Paleo, Whole 30 and Vegetarian needs. Also includes make ahead and freezer instructions!
Cooking time: 25minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 green bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans or 2 (14.5 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and cubed into ½ inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: diced avocado sour cream, or red pepper flakes
How To Prepare
Drizzle olive oil into a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and saute the onions until tender, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the ground beef or turkey and cook until browned. Drain away any excess drippings and stir in tomato paste, bell pepper, tomato sauce, chicken stock, pinto beans, butternut squash, salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally until the chili is thickened and the butternut squash is tender, but not falling apart, about 20 minutes.