This delicious dahl soup is quick and easy to prep, and packed full of protein, leafy greens, and mega flavor.
Cooking time: 25minutes
- 2 teaspoon olive oil, or 1/4 cup additional vegetable stock if sautéing without oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 small red chile, minced (optional)
- 2 cups red lentils or yellow mung dhal
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, optional/to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach or chopped and stemmed kale
- Handful fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Whole grain bread, or Naan of choice
- 1 avocado, cubed for garnish (optional)
How To Prepare
- Put a heavy-bottom soup pot over medium to high heat.
- Add the oil or vegetable stock, followed by the onions. Allow to sauté for a few minutes until aromatic and translucent. (If omitting oil, jump to the next step and add spices/onions to dry pan.)
- Add mustard, cumin, turmeric, garlic, and chile. Allow to cook, stirring constantly to avoid burning, for about 3 minutes. (If you have not used oil at this point, add 1/4 cup vegetable stock to deglaze pan).
- Lower heat to low-medium and add the lentils. Stir well for 1 minute and add the vegetable stock and sea salt. Put on lid.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce to low heat, continuing to cook for about 15-18 minutes. The dahl will begin to breakdown and ‘melt’, causing the soup to start thickening up.
- Add the plant milk and simmer for about 10 more minutes. Season with a bit more sea salt as needed. Remove from heat.
- Add the chopped greens and stir, allowing the greens to ‘cook’ in the hot soup until serving.
- Ladle a generous amount into each bowl, top with cilantro, avocado and serve with you favorite whole grain seeded bread or naan.