Try this awesome plant-based version of the brunch favorite — absolutely no eggs required!
Recipe by Chef Chloe
Cooking time: 30minutes
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 jalapeño, seeded
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 15-ounce can whole or crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, with their juices
For the scramble:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces ground seitan
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 16-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained, patted dry, and lightly crumbled
For the lime sour cream (makes 1 cup):
- 1 cup silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 small soft corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
How To Prepare
- Make the ranchero sauce. In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes and their juices, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeño, agave, lime juice, and salt and blend until smooth.
- Transfer into a small saucepan and warm over medium-low heat. Gently simmer until ready to serve.
- Make the scramble. Lightly spray a large non-stick skillet with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until softened. Add the beans, tofu and seitan and cook for a few minutes more, until lightly browned, adding more oil if the mixture sticks to the pan.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, taco seasoning, and turmeric and cook for about 1 minute more until fragrant. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the tofu becomes dry. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the spinach, stirring until just wilted. Taste and season with pepper.
- Make the lime sour cream. In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients; blend until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Assemble: To assemble, heat a tortilla in a pan over medium-high heat or by placing it directly over the burner over medium-low heat for about 20 to 30 seconds on each side, using tongs to flip.
- Layer a few large spoonfuls of scramble on top of the tortilla, then top with ranchero sauce. Drizzle with lime sour cream and garnish with a few avocado slices and some cilantro.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- The ranchero sauce and lime sour cream can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- For a gluten-free version, replace the seitan with tempeh and use gluten-free tortillas.