Enjoy the aromatic, sweet flavor of roasted butternut squash with this simple recipe that even includes help for cutting and peeling in addition to four different flavor options.
Cooking time:50 minutes
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
How To Prepare
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
Use a fork to prick holes in the skin of the butternut squash. Microwave for 3 minutes on high, then let cool until you can easily handle.
Peel, seed, and cut squash into 1-inch cubes.
Place squash into a large mixing bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Spread squash in an even layer onto a 18×13-inch baking sheet.
Roast in the 400 degree oven for 40-50 minutes, until squash is tender.
Easiest way to peel and cut a butternut squash:
- Use a fork to prick holes in the skin of the butternut squash. Microwave for 3 minutes on high, then let cool until you can easily handle.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the peel.
- Cut the butternut squash in half, lengthwise to split the butter nut squash open. Each piece will have the long, skinnier neck, and the bell shape at the bottom.
- Scrape out seeds from the bell portion and discard.
- Cut each piece to separate the neck from the bell.
- Dice the squash into 1-inch cubes
- Brown Sugar Roasted Butternut Squash: toss cubed squash with 3 tablespoons melted butter, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Maple Roasted Butternut Squash: toss cubed squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash: add 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary to this recipe, or 2 teaspoons dried.