- ¼ tsp saffron strands
- 600 ml water
- 225 g long grain rice
1. Put the saffron strands in a pestle and pound them with a mortar until reduced almost to a powder.
2. Stir in a little of the measured water to dissolve the saffron.
3. Put the rice in a saucepan (remember to wash Basmati rice first).
4. Pour in the saffron liquid, rinse the pestle with a little of the measured water to obtain all the colour and flavor.
5. Pour in the rest of the water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
6. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15-25 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
7. Fluff up the grains with a fork and serve.