Red beans and rice, it is definitely always a family favorite meal at my house and one that is comforting and delicious. I remember growing up that Mama would make it for special meals when she knew that she would be home all day so that she could tend to it on the stove, having to make sure that she kept plenty of liquid in the Dutch oven so it didn’t scorch.
Cooking time: 6hours
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans rinsed
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage thinly sliced (andouille or smoked)
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 7 cups water
- 4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- green onions chopped, for garnish
- fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
How To Prepare
Add red kidney beans, smoked sausage, celery, bell pepper, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, chili powder, and water to a 6-quart slow cooker. Set on high setting and cook for 6 hours.
Cook rice according to package directions.
Serve red beans over top of the cooked rice. Top with fresh green onions and parsley.