Beans are protein and fiber packed, go with virtually everything and are super affordable. Preparing dried beans is easy — all you need is a little time and once you master the technique it gets easier and easier. You can apply this recipe to any bean or lentil. Make a big batch to last all week and add them into your favorite dishes.
Recipe by Derek Sarno
- 1 lb soaked and rinsed white beans (you could use canned beans to save time)
- 1 bay leaf
How To Prepare
- Soak, either — a) Overnight soak: In a large pot add beans and cover with water 2 inches higher than beans. Next day, drain and follow cooking instructions below.
or b) Cheat soak: In a large pot add the beans and cover with water 2 inches higher than beans then on high heat bring to boil and shut off and let soak for an hour, drain and follow directions below.
- In large pot add the drained beans and bay leaf and cover with fresh water 2 inches higher than beans.
- On a medium-high heat bring the pot of beans and water to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer gently for an hour or until beans are tender yet still firm. After an hour periodically test a bean by seeing if you can mash it and it falls apart easily.
- If short on time low sodium canned beans, drained work wonderful.
- MAKE THEM WICKED! Add one large diced onion and 1 T chopped garlic, ½ t each salt and pepper when cooking.