Behind this ridiculous name there is a fantastically tasty and inexpensive dish that can be prepared for a holiday. The main thing is to convince that all present eat pork. Sisig is made from the most inexpensive parts of animal, like ears and lower part of the brisket. In this case we don’t need any bones, but the skin is very necessary.
In fact, the original recipe often uses pork cheeks and a nose, so you are free to choose. At the last stage of cooking the components are often put from wok to flat portioned cast-iron frying pans: it’s on them that the most delicious part of this dish, like crusty crust is formed. Sisig is served directly on these frying pans in hot. That is the reason why it has got this name.
List of required products:
- 2 prepared (peeled and scorched) pig’s ears;
- 500 g of pork flank (brisket) on the skin;
- 400 g of chicken liver;
- 1 large onion;
- 4-5 cloves of garlic;
- 1 hot chili pepper;
- 1/4 cup of citrus fruit juice Kalamansi or a mixture of lime juice and lemon;
- 1/2 cup soy sauce;
- 2 dried peppers;
- 1/2 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- freshly ground black pepper.
Begin to cook
- Rinse your pork ears thoroughly and put them into a saucepan.Cut the flank into large pieces and put them there. Crush, peel and chop garlic.
- Add peppers and garlic into the pan with pork, pour everything with soy sauce and half of citrus juice, pour with 1 cup of boiling water.
- Bring to a boiling condition, reduce the heat to a minimum, cook, tightly closing the lid, until it become soft. It takes from 1.5 h usually.
- Take the meat out of the pan, remove the garlic and peppers. Put the liver into the pan. Mind that it should be prepared in the liquid, remaining from the meat preparation. On medium heat, stew everything until it is half cooked, stirring the components from time to time. Then cool the liver.
- Ears and pieces of flank are fried under the maximum heated grill from all sides to a ruddy crust appearance. Then cut into small pieces.
- Cut the liver with the same pieces as meat.
- Peel and finely chop the onions. Chili peppers are cut into half rings.
- In the wok heat the butter, put there the onion and fry until it is clear, for about 5 minutes. Add chili, meat and liver, season with black pepper and paprika, season with salt, mix thoroughly, pour with the remaining citrus juice. Fry, almost without stirring, until a crust forms on the bottom of the wok. Serve when it is still very hot.
By the way
Be sure to check that the ears and flank are prepared well. The skin should be smooth to the touch and without hair-bristles, of course. If it is not, the ears can be burned, and the flank is shaved (with the help of an ordinary disposable razor) and also scorched. Otherwise it will be impossible for you to eat your sisig.