Vegetarian rolls (maki-sushi and norimaki) are so popular nowadays. Why? – Frankly speaking there are many reasons for this. Some people appreciate their taste, others – give preference to the appearance. Let’s try and understand.
List of required products
- round rice — 1/2 cup;
- water — 2/3 cup;
- nori sheets (pressed algae for sushi) — 3 items.
For the dressing:
- rice or apple cider vinegar — 4 tbsp.;
- sugar — 2 tbsp;
- salt — 1 tbsp.
- carrot — 1 item;
- cucumber — 1 item;
- a small avocado — 1 item;
- melted tofu or cream cheese — 150 g;
- sesame — to taste;
- wasabi (Japanese horseradish) — to taste.
- soy sauce;
- pickled ginger.
Begin to cook
- Rice (you should take round) is poured into a large bowl and rinsed under water about 10 times to wash all the starch. Then pour rice with water and put on fire. When the water boils, reduce the heat to a minimum, close the lid tightly and leave everything for 10 minutes. Do not open the lid and do not stir your rice!
- When the rice is ready, turn off the heat and leave it under the lid for another 10 minutes. Put the rice in a wide bowl. It should be crumbly.
- Make a dressing for rice: stir sugar and salt in vinegar until it completely dissolves. When the rice cools slightly, refill it with prepared vinegar. The dressing should be added gradually. For this purpose you should gently turn the rice with a wooden spatula. If you do not have rice or apple cider vinegar, you can dilute 70% acetic acid with water: to get 3% vinegar — in a ratio of 1:22; to obtain 6% of vinegar — 1:11; to obtain 9% of vinegar — 1: 7.
- Prepare ingredients for the stuffing. Carrots have to be cleaned and cut lengthways into long blocks. Boil them in a small amount of salted water for a few minutes until they become soft. Put them into a colander. Avocado and cucumber are clean and cut into long thin blocks. If the cucumber has large seeds, cut them. Tofu is cut into cubes. Sesame is fried in a dry frying pan until it becomes golden brown, stirring constantly. If you bought wasabi in powder, make a paste out of it, mixing the powder with water.
- In order to get correctly rolled rolls without a «snail», from each sheet of the nori on the smaller side, you need to cut a strip of 4 cm wide. These cuttings can be used in cooking vegetarian «fried fish». To prevent rice from sticking to your hands, mix the water with soy sauce or vinegar and dip your fingers into it each time before you take the rice.
- On the bamboo mat put the nori with the smooth side down. At the top, evenly lay the rice with a layer of 7 mm, from the top of the nori about 2 cm (if the sheets are not cut off, then about 6 cm). Take a wasabi with your finger and put a strip on the rice in the middle. Sprinkle sesame over the entire surface of the rice. In the middle of the rice lay out the so-called tracks of strips of cucumber, avocado and carrots. Top with tofu.
- Use a bamboo mat to roll an item: top the strip of nori without rice moisten with water, then straighten the bottom edge of the nori with the edge of the rug and, holding the fingers of the stuffing, raise the rug with your thumbs and bend it forward from yourself so that the lower edge of the rice meets the top. Then turn the edge of the rug and roll the resulting sausage back and forth. It should be quite dense, and the edge of the nori, moistened with water, should be stuck well to it. In the same way, make two more rolls.
- Cut each roll with a sharp knife into 6-8 pieces, each time wetting the knife in water with vinegar.
- Ready rolls are served with soy sauce, wasabi and marinated ginger. Taking a piece of sushi with chopsticks, lower it first into the sauce, and then send it into your mouth. Before you take the next, eat a leaf of pickled ginger: it will clear the palate of the previous taste and you will enjoy sushi in a new way. You see, in accordance with the experienced cooks, ginger rolls are very good and eaten faster than without it.