Chili mac and cheese is the ultimate mash up of two favourites — chili plus mac and cheese!
Cooking time : 20minutes
- 8 oz (250g) dry weight elbow or macaroni pasta, cooked to al dente and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper (capsicum),seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tablespoon minced garlic)
- 1 pound (500g) lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon each ground cumin and red chili powder or Cayenne (adjust to your tastes)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (or sweet paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 oz (200g) crushed tomatoes
- 7 oz (210g) tomato puree (or Passata, condensed tomato soup for Aussies)
- 1 cup (250 ml) beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 14 oz (400g) red kidney beans, drained
- 7 oz (200g) black beans, drained
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese (or Monterey Jack)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
How To Prepare
Heat oil in large heavy-based pot (or casserole pot) over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until transparent, then add the green peppers (or capsicum) and garlic, sautéing for a further minute until the garlic is fragrant.
Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up any big chunks with the end of your wooden spoon. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, paprika and salt and mix through until beef is fully coated in the seasonings.
Mix in the crushed tomatoes along with the juices, tomato puree, broth, tomato paste and beans. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and allow to simmer while stirring occasionally, until the chili thickens (about 10 minutes).
Preheat oven broiler (or grill) on medium heat.
Add the cooked pasta and toss well to combine. Top with cheese, transfer to oven and broil for 2 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and melted.
Garnish with sliced jalapeños and chopped cilantro (optional).
Serve with sour cream.