- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, separated
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic, separated
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon cornstarch, separated
- 1 pound flank steak
- 3-5 tablespoons vegetable oil, separated
- Assorted veggies: 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, 8 ounces snap peas, 1 cup shredded carrots, 1 red
- bell pepper
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) ramen noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup low-sodium beef stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup brown sugar*, packed
- 1/2 — 1 full teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Optional: green onions
- OPTIONAL: marinade the meat. Toss together 1/4 cup soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and 1 tablespoon minced garlic. Very thinly slice the flank steak against the grain into 1/4th inch thick strips and then into 2 inch pieces. Place the steak pieces in the marinade and set out at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. OR cover tightly and place in the fridge for up to 8 hours. If you want this to be a true 30-minute dinner, skip this step!
- While the meat is marinating, prep and cook the veggies.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or wok and add in the sliced mushrooms, snap peas, shredded carrots, and chopped red bell pepper.
- Cook over medium high heat until crisp tender and transfer to a bowl/plate.
- Remove the meat and drain off any remaining marinade. Toss the meat to coat with the cornstarch in a large plastic bag.
- Alternatively use your fingers to work the cornstarch into the meat. Make sure all of the meat is well coated in cornstarch.
- Add another tablespoon of oil. Heat until the oil is shimmering and then adds in 1/2 the beef so it can be in a single layer.
- Cook without moving until the beef is well seared, about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Continue cooking while stirring until the beef is lightly cooked but still pink in spots, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate.