A plant-based version of an old favorite. Mushrooms, eggplant, tempeh and sun-dried tomatoes give a rich umami flavor.
Recipe by The Culinery Gym
Cooking time:30 minutes
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 5 cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 8 oz eggplant, finely diced
- 8 oz tempeh, crumbled
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, minced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 oz tomato sauce or strained tomatoes, no salt added
How To Prepare
- In a large sauté pan or skillet over medium heat add the onion, carrot, mushrooms and eggplant. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the tempeh, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, red wine vinegar, vegetable broth, tomato sauce and dried herbs. Stir well to combine, cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until the eggplant is soft. Stir occasionally for even cooking and to prevent vegetables from sticking to the pan. If the sauce becomes too thick, add more wine or water.
- Serve over whole grain or legume pasta or spiralized vegetables.
- To save time, you can finely dice your ingredients using a food processor: 1) grate the vegetables using the large container fitted with the fine grating blade, and then 2) in the small container fitted with the “S” blade, pulse the tempeh and sun-dried tomatoes until they’re crumbled.
- For an indulgent treat, top with a little of your favorite plant-based cheese.