- 2 tbsp oil
- 450 g/1 lb potatoes, thinly sliced
- 675-1 kg middle or scrag end neck of lamb or mutton
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 900 ml lamb stock
- Chopped parsley to garnish
(Cooking time :2hours, serves4)
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and brown and sliced potatoes.
2. Remove the potatoes and reserve.
3. Cut the lamb or mutton into neat joints, then layer the lamb, onion and potato in the saucepan, seasoning each layer well.
4. Pour over the stock and bring the stew slowly to the boil.
5. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 2 hours or until the meat is cooked.
6. Garnish the stew with parsley and serve with seasonal vegetables.