Made with only a few basic ingredients, a splash of 100% apple juice gives this unique crock pot a nutritious kick!
- 1 (3-pound) bone-in pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence (or Italian Seasoning)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 apples of your choice, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups 100% apple juice
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon, optional
For the Rice Bowls:
- 2 cups dry brown rice
- 1 large head lacinato (Tuscan) kale, chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado, diced
- Sprinkle the pork shoulder with Italian seasoning and sea salt and gently press into the meat.
- Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker, along with the diced onion, garlic, and apples.
- Pour the apple juice and chicken broth into the slow cooker. Cover, and set slow cooker on low for 6 to 10 hours, until meat is very tender and pulls easily away from the bone.
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board and use two forks to shred the meat. Transfer the shredded meat back into the crock pot, discarding the bone.
- Allow meat to sit in the juices at least 1 hour before serving (if possible).
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. While rice is cooking, sauté the chopped kale in a small amount of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add desired amount of rice to bowls and top with sautéed kale, pulled pork and apples, and sliced avocado.
- Spoon the pork-apple juice from the crock pot over the bowls and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Serve with lime wedges.