A side of delicious traditional gravy goes great with this dish!
- 1 (1.75 kg/4 lb) duck
- 225 g pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 onion, grated
- 100 g fresh brown breadcrumbs
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 2teaspoons dried sage
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Parsley sprigs
- Lemon twists
- Chopped pears
1. Rinse the inside and outside of the duck and pat dry.
2. Rub the salt over the duck.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients together thoroughly, binding with the egg and stuff the neck end of the duck. Secure with a skewer.
4. Weigh the bird and calculate the cooking time. Allow 30 minutes per 450 g/1 lb.
5. Place the duck on a wire rack in a roasting tin , prick skin with a sharp fork and roast in a moderate oven for the calculated time.
6. Transfer the duck to a serving plate and garnish as illustrated.
7. Serve the duck with a thin gravy , roast potatoes, buttered carrots and peas.