- 1 leg, loin or shoulder of pork
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
1. The cooking time for a leg or loin of pork is 30 minutes per 450 g/1 lb plus 35 minutes, or fat part of a leg or a shoulder 30 minutes per 450 g/1 lb plus 35 minutes.
2. Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time.
3. Score the rind of the joint with a sharp knife at 5 mm/ ¼ inch intervals.
4. Rub salt and pepper into the rind and then brush the oil over.
5. Place the meat, rind side up, on a wire rack standing in a roasting tin and roast in a moderate oven for the time calculated.
6. Check the meat is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre – the juices that emerge should be colourless.
7. Transfer the meat to a hot serving dish and keep warm whilst making the gravy, but using half vegetable water and half cider ,if liked .
8. Serve the pork with apple sauce and roast and boiled vegetables as accompaniments.