- 500g of topside beef steak, cut into medium flat slices
- 3-4 tbs rapeseed oil (any high smoke point oil will do)
- 1/2 tsp each of (salt, paprika, cayenne and black pepper, cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon and garlic powder)
- 1 large sweet potato, washed, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large carrot, washed, peeled and cut diagonally
- 1 red and 1 green bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, cut in big slices
- Place all the seasoning in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pat dry the meat with paper towels in order to remove excess moisture. Cover your cutting board with plastic wrap or wax paper. Lay the beef on top and cover with another piece of plastic. Use the flat side of a meat mallet, hammer the beef flat.
- Add half or more of the seasoning (save rest for the vegetable) and oil to the flattened beef. Using your hand, mix well to combine and let marinate for at least an hour or two.
- Meanwhile, half boil the sweet potatoes and carrots in salted water. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat a large non stick pan over medium/high heat before adding the marinated beef.
- Sauté the beef uncovered until golden brown on one side then using tongs, turn and cook the other side ~ 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Remove beef, place in a dish, cover and leave to rest.
- Using the same pan, add a drizzle of oil if required and stir fry the carrots and sweet potatoes for ~ 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the peppers and onions.
- Sprinkle some of the seasoning reserved and stir fry gently until all the vegetables are fork tender.
- Serve immediately with the steak.
Tips — If you like your steak very hot, moves the vegetables to one side of the pan and return the steak back to the pan. Cover and lower heat for a couple of minutes.