Hours of low and slow cooking in a crock pot creates the best chili! Why? All of the flavours and spices marry into each other and the meat becomes incredibly tender, just the way a GREAT chili should be!
Cooking time: 6hr 15mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper (capsicum),seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 pound (500 g) lean ground beef mince
- 1 pound (500 g) beef sausage,(Angus beef or Italian sausage)
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, (400 g)
- 1 (24 oz) bottle tomato sauce (American) ((700 g Passata for Aussies)
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilies, (or 120 g jalapeños)
- 2 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (adjust to your tastes)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder (adjust to your tastes)
- 1 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (425 g)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed (425 g)
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- green onions
- fresh chopped cilantro
How To Prepare
Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and green peppers (or capsicum) for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant (30 seconds). Transfer mixture into a 6-quart (litre) slow cooker bowl.
Fry beef and sausage until browned. Drain off most of the fat, reserving about 2 tablespoons of fat with the beef; transfer meat into slow cooker bowl. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chilies, bouillon, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, paprika, cocoa powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and sugar. Season with pepper to taste.
Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours if time allows, (or high heat for 2 hours).
Stir beans through and allow them to warm through (about 2 minutes).
Serve with desired toppings and sides: cornbread, corn chips, tortilla chips, crackers.