If your family is anything like ours and eats all of the sides at Thanksgiving, this recipe is for you. Especially if you love creamy soups and chili. If you don’t want the heat, simply leave out the chilies! There is so much flavour thanks to the herbs and spices that you won’t miss the heat.
Cooking Time: 15minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 quart (litre) chicken stock or broth
- 2 oz canned chopped jalapeños or green chilies (adjust to your heat preference or leave them out)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro,chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds (1 kg) cooked turkey meat or chicken, shredded
- 3 x 15 ounce cans cannellini beans or white beans
- 3/4 cup half and half (evaporated milk or heavy cream), divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
How To Prepare
Heat oil in a pot over medium-hight heat; sauté onion until soft. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Stir in stock or broth, jalapeños, cilantro, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add turkey (or chicken) and beans; simmer for 5 minutes.
Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup of half and half, evaporated milk or cream. Stir into the chili. Add in remaining cream, mixing well to blend.
Take off the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust spices and heat to suit your taste.