This delicious plant-based take on the classic meatball sub will satisfy the heartiest of appetites!
Recipe by Derek Sarno
- 10-12 of your favorite plant-based meatballs
- ½ a large sub roll
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced or julienned
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced or julienned
- 1 cup tomato sauce, warmed
- 1 cup lettuce, thinly sliced or shaved
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
How To Prepare
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (fan).
- Prepare meatballs according to instructions and add to warmed tomato sauce.
- Heat a skillet on medium to high heat, add the peppers and onions and sauté for 2-3 minute and then add the garlic and continue for one more minute until the vegetables start to brown (a spray of oil to coat the pan is optional). Remove from the oven and have all ingredients warmed and ready for when building the sandwich.
- Slice the roll down the middle and slightly stretch open, add lettuce shavings, then peppers and onions, then meatballs, and top with sauce. Place the finished packed sub in the oven and toast for 5-7 minutes until the edges start to get crispy.
- Add plant-based cheese for that extra, extra!
- Swap out the tomato sauce for the Buffalo Tahini Sauce if you like it spicy or the Smoky BBQ Sauce if you like it sweet.
- Add fresh parsley, basil for a fresher taste and bird’s eye chilis for an extra kick.