Yield: 5 — 1 cup servings
- 1 (20 oz) pkg three cheese tortellini (preferably the refrigerated kind)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/4 cups milk (I used 2%, anything but skim works fine)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) chopped fresh spinach
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp dry)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp finely shredded parmesan , plus more for serving
- Red pepper flakes , for serving (optional)
- Cook tortellini according to directions listed on package.
- Meanwhile, in a large and deep skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute 30 seconds, then add flour and onion powder and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour in milk and cream, then whisk until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to simmer, then add tomatoes, spinach, basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook several minutes longer until sauce has thickened and spinach has wilted. Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Toss prepared and drained tortellini into sauce mixture (note that as the pasta rests, the sauce will seem thicker and it will sort of soak into the noodles.
- So, if you won’t be serving it for 10 minutes or so you can stir in some pasta water, milk or cream to thin it out if desired).
- Serve warm sprinkled with additional parmesan cheese if desired and optional red pepper flakes.