A lightened up and low fat version of the classic Carbonara pasta dish, including tender chicken breast pieces with crispy bacon strips, so we can eat and enjoy with no guilt — ok, well maybe only half the guilt. But you get what I mean.
- 375 g pack fresh pasta , (egg parpadelle or fettuccini)
- 250 g short cut bacon , cut into strips
- 700 g | 24oz chicken breast , cut into thick 2-inch strips
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic , crushed or minced
- 1 x 250g tub/container reduced fat/fat free cream cheese (I used 5% fat), room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup reserved pasta water + 1/2 cup extra (just in case)
How To Prepare
Cook pasta following packet instructions for about 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain pasta and return to the pot/pan, reserving 1 cup of water for later.
While pasta is boiling, whisk cream cheese and eggs together in a large bowl until smooth and lump free. Add the parmesan and set aside.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium high heat. Add onions and bacon. Fry until bacon is crisp (about 6 minutes). Add the garlic and chicken, and cook until chicken is cooked through.
Reduce heat and pour cream cheese/egg mixture into the pan while stirring quickly and gently to distribute evenly throughout the chicken. Continue to stir gently for a further minute while adding the reserved water (1/4 cup at a time) until sauce has cooked and thickened.
Add the sauce into the pot of pasta, and toss gently until pasta is evenly coated. (Slowly add the extra water if necessary).
Please note: no salt was needed to season this carbonara as the bacon releases enough salt with a great flavour, however, feel free to add salt to your tastes if you need.