- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 large onion, sliced in 1/4″ thick half moons
- 2 bell peppers, sliced in 1/4″ thick strips (any color)
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups uncooked short pasta (rotini, penne, etc.)
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup each shredded provolone (or jack) and sharp cheddar cheese, mixed together. (2c total)
- Parsley for garnish
- In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions and peppers, and sauté until slightly softened, approx. 7-8 minutes. Add in the ground beef, season with the salt, pepper and garlic powder, and cook until no longer pink. Stir in the minced garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Mix in the dried pasta until fully combined and slowly pour in the chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, stirring occasionally, approx. 20-25 minutes until the pasta is tender and the majority of the liquid has evaporated. Taste and adjust s/p if desired.
- Preheat the broiler setting on the oven. Stir in 1 1/4 cup of the shredded cheeses until fully combined and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with the remaining cheese and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes before service. Garnish with parsley if desired.