No need for real cheese when you can whip up cashew mozzarella in a hot minute to make this tasty Margherita pizza!
Recipe by Hot For Food
Preparation time: 2hours 15minutes
Cooking time: 15minutes
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tapioca flour/starch
- 1 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup whole basil leaves
- Store bought pizza crust
How To Prepare
- Soak the cashew nuts in a bowl of cold water for at least two hours.
- Drain and rinse the raw cashews from the soaking water. Add to a blender with almond milk, lemon juice, tapioca, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, and white pepper and combine until very smooth.
- Heat this cheese mixture over medium heat in a small saucepan, whisking until thickened (approximately 8 to 10 minutes).
- Spread pizza sauce evenly over pizza crust. You can purchase pizza crusts from most grocery stores. You can also buy ready made pizza dough if you prefer to roll out your own crust.
- Dollop the cashew mozzarella onto the sauce-covered crust using a spoon. You can also pour the mixture into a piping bag with a thick tip, or into a Ziploc bag where you can snip the corner and squeeze out the mixture. It doesn’t have to be even. Spread it out a little with a spoon or your finger.
- Bake the pizza in an oven preheated to 450°F and add basil leaves on top in the last minute of baking.