You want easy? Try this plant-based chickpea tuna salad recipe. Smash some chickpeas, add a few odds and ends and you’re well on your way! This is a fantastic staple dish and by adjusting a few of the ingredients you can keep the flavors fresh and alive so it never gets boring. Serve it as a salad or as a sandwich filling with your favorite toppings — there’s no end to the combos you can come up with. You got this!
Recipe by Derek Sarno
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained 580 g
- 1 cup Classic Cashew Sour Cream or plant-based mayo (optional)
- ¼ cup corn kernels, either fresh or frozen (can be charred for extra taste)
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds (soaked for an hour in water-optional)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- Salt, to taste (optional)
How To Prepare
- In large bowl add drained chickpeas and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and gently fold and stir all together.
- Add chili peppers, (we like birds eye) for that heated boost.
- Swap out the corn, dill and capers for roasted red peppers and olives for a different twist.
- Try it grilled with some plant-based cheese for a plant-based take on the tuna melt (this will change your life).