An assortment of juicy sweet berries and banana; mixed with Nutella; wrapped around a blanket of french toast; dusted with icing sugar. Bon Appetit!
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons skim/low fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices sandwich bread of choice, (I use sourdough)
- 4 tablespoons Nutella , divided (or any hazelnut chocolate/cacao spread)
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries (small pieces)
- Handful of blueberries
- 1 ripe banana , cut in thirds
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar OR cinnamon sugar for coating (optional) — (about only 1 tablespoon is used per cannoli)
- butter for greasing
How To Prepare
Whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla together in a medium sized shallow bowl, large enough to fit the rolls, and set aside.
Cut the crust from the bread pieces, and with a rolling pin, gently roll out and flatten each piece of bread. Be careful not to press too hard or they will break.
Spread 1/2 tablespoon Nutella per bread piece onto bread. Fill 1/3 of the bread slice with the strawberries/blueberries or banana, and roll the bread up gently and tightly around the fruit side first (the nutella will keep it in place) until a roll has formed. Set aside seam side down. Repeat with remaining bread until all rolls are done.
Heat pan with add a little butter or a spray of cooking oil on low-medium heat.
Dip the rolls into the egg mixture, turning them to coat evenly, and place them seam side down into the pan. Cook until golden brown, making sure to turn them about every 2-3 minutes so they brown evenly on all sides.
While they’re cooking, pour the sugar onto a small plate.
When fully cooked, remove them and place immediately into the sugar. Roll them until completely covered.