Good news: You can eat Mexican food for every meal. Tacos, burritos and enchiladas are all viable breakfast options. Quite often, all it takes is throwing an egg on top. But there are more advanced methods for transforming taco Tuesday into taco Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Start with this one!
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 2 roasted red peppers from a jar
- 4 spring onions
- ½-1 lime
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x 400 g tin of black beans
- olive oil
- 8 small flour or corn tortillas
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 1 knob of butter
- Make a fast and simple salsa by chopping the tomatoes, peppers and spring onions together on a big board.
- Squeeze over the juice from half a lime, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season, then use the knife to chop and mix it all together. Taste and add more lime juice if needed.
- Drain and pour the black beans into a small saucepan, season, drizzle with olive oil and heat through gently.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan, toast the tortillas one at a time on both sides until charred, then keep warm under a clean tea towel or foil.
- Fry the eggs in a little butter and oil, keeping the yolks nice and soft.
- Pop 2 tortillas on each plate and top with beans, salsa and an egg. Serve with salsa verde fresco for a bit of attitude.