Planning a dinner in Chinese or Asian style, we can’t do without traditional sauces, which are surely served to Chinese cuisine. You can buy a sauce in a Chinese shop or in the department of products for Asian cuisine in any major store. We’ll go the other way by making a home plum sauce.
Firstly, it is interesting and amazing. Secondly, you can always add spiciness to your dish, according to personal taste preferences.
List of required products
- 3 kg dark blue plums;
- 2 medium onions;
- 5 cm of fresh ginger root;
- garlic — 3 cloves;
- 1 large red chili pepper;
- 500 ml of rice or white wine vinegar;
- 200 ml soy sauce;
- 200 g of brown sugar;
- vegetable oil;
- 5 stars of anise;
- 2 cinnamon sticks;
Begin to cook
- Cut plums on quarters, remove all the bones. Put the plums into a bowl and add some sugar. Leave it while everything else is being prepared.
- Peel the onions, garlic and ginger. Very finely slice, and it is better grated everything on a fine grater. Cut chili along in half, if desired, remove seeds and septum (if you do not want to have it too spicy), chop the peppers very finely.
- In the wide deep stewing pan with a thick bottom heat a little oil and fry all spicy vegetables over medium heat until they become soft. Don’t forget to stir all the time.
- Add the plums together with the reduced juice, pour inside the vinegar and 800 ml of cold drinking water. Bring to a boiling condition and cook until the plumps are absolutely soft. When the mass is still hot, put it through a sieve and put back to the saucepan.
- Add the soy sauce and the anise tree parts. The added cinnamon sticks should be broken into large pieces. Bring the sauce to a boiling condition, reduce the heat to a minimum. Stew it, stirring from time to time for about 2 h. Salt and mix.
- Strain the hot sauce in sterilized jars so that it fills them to the top. Close immediately.