Our Creamy Mushroom Gravy is smooth, hearty and guaranteed to please even the pickiest eaters. It can be whipped up quickly and served over any main.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms of choice, gently cleaned with a towel and chopped
- 3/4 cup dried mushroom of choice, ground into a mince (using a blender, coffee or spice grinder)
- 2 tablespoons minced thyme
- 3 sprigs of rosemary, stemmed and minced
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine (or dry white wine as alternative)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (low sodium preferred)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons whole grain flour (any kind)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce (preferably low sodium)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, (optional)
How To Prepare
- In a shallow pot or large sauté pan on medium heat, add the oil, garlic, and onion. Stir until the garlic and onions are translucent.
- Add the fresh mushrooms, rosemary, and thyme and continue to sauté for a few minutes, until they begin to stick.
- Add the wine to deglaze the pan and cook for a few minutes. Add the stock and dried mushrooms and stir, bringing to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, nutritional yeast, and soy sauce to make a slurry.
- Slowly add the slurry to the stock. Bring the gravy to a simmer on medium to medium-high heat, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Kick up the protein by pulsing 1 cup of white beans and adding them to the gravy.
- Serve this gravy alongside our other featured holiday recipes, including Thanksgiving Roast, mashed potatoes, oat & lentil «meat loaf», etc.