This is a very convenient dish, when you do not know exactly how many people are waiting for dinner. You can cook more rice and put a large bowl of cucumber salad on the table (it’s so tasty to be eaten after hot sauce!) and then the treats will be enough for everybody.
List of required products:
- 800 g of large shrimps;
- 2 large onions;
- 2 medium carrots;
- 1 cup of frozen peas;
- 5 sprigs of cilantro;
- 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil;
- 5 tbsp. curry;
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon;
- ground red pepper;
- salt, freshly ground black pepper.
- 5 cups of basmati rice;
- 1 cup of coconut milk;
- 3/4 tbsp. salt;
Begin to cook
- Rinse the rice in cold water, pour into a colander. In a large saucepan pour 1.5 cups of water and coconut milk, season with salt and bring to a boiling condition. Add rice and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to a minimum, cover the pan with a lid and cook for another 12-15 minutes until the liquid is completely absorbed. Remove the saucepan from the heat and leave for 10 minutes. Loosen the rice with a fork.
- Clear the shrimp from the shell and remove the heads. Cut the back with a sharp little knife and remove the dark intestinal vein.
- Onions and carrots are peeled. Chop the onions. Cut the carrots into small cubes. Finely chop the leaves of coriander.
- Heat the deep frying pan on fire, which is above the medium one, pour inside 1 tbsp. oil. Put the shrimps and fry for 2 minutes on each side, salt and pepper, put on a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium, pour inside the remaining oil. Put the onions and fry for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and fry for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle with curry and red pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour 1.5 cups of hot water and cook for 5 minutes. Add the peas and bring to a boiling condition. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to a weak one and cook for 4 minutes.
- Bring the shrimps back into the pan and cook for 1 minute, then remove the pan from the fire. Lay coconut rice on the plates, put curry on the top. Sprinkle the dish with cilantro and serve immediately.
- Curry for this recipe can be prepared with fish or chicken, slightly increasing the time of stewing in sauce.