Crispy corn is a snack made by frying corn kernels and then flavoring with spice powders. There are a few different ways crispy corn is made in restaurants and fast food centers. You may find crispy corn coated with thin to extremely thick layer made using cornflour and some times even egg white powder or egg. I have shared here a simple and easy version that doesn’t use egg. I have also included tips if you prefer to use egg.
Cooking time:20 minutes
- 3 cups corn or 3 corncobs
- 6 tbsp corn flour refer notes
- 4 to 6 tbsp rice flour or all-purpose flour or maida
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp salt or as needed
- 4 cups water for parboiling corn
Spice powders for crispy corn
- ¾ tsp jeera powder or cumin powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp chaat masala (use to suit your taste)
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (use only if needed, refer notes)
How To Prepare
Choose corn that have firm and plump kernels. Avoid too young, tender or juicy ones. Also do not use hard kernels.
- Cut the corn cob to 2 parts. Begin to pick the whole kernels from the cob without cutting them with a knife. Add them to a bowl. Do not cut them with a knife as the cut kernels tend to splutter while frying.
- Next add them to salted hot water and boil for 2 minutes. You can skip this step if the kernels are moderately milky and not hard.
- Drain them and rinse under running water. When excess water drains up, add them to a wide bowl.
- While you prepare the corn also prepare to deep fry them or preheat your oven to 400 F or 200 C for at least 15 mins.
- Corn have to be moist at this stage. Then sprinkle salt, pepper, 3 tbsps corn flour and 3 tbsps rice flour. Toss them to coat with the flour. If using egg, pour 1 egg white and mix well. Then sprinkle flour. Toss well.
- Next repeat adding the rest of the flour as needed. Toss them again. If needed sprinkle 1 tbsp water. Toss. Avoid water if using egg.
- If you like more crispy flour coated on the corn then repeat coating them once more, sprinkling 1 tbsp more water if needed. The corn kernels must look floury at the same time they should not be dry. I did not do it the third time.
Grilling in oven
- Spread the prepared corn on a parchment paper or greased sheet. Grill them for 24 to 30 mins until they turn golden and crisp.
Frying crispy corn
- Pour oil to a hot deep pan for frying. Heat it on a medium flame.
- When the oil turns hot, drop one corn kernel and check. The oil must be quite hot at this stage otherwise the flour may disperse in the oil.
- I added about 2 to 3 ladles of corn for each batch and quickly covered with the splatter screen.
- Regulate the flame to medium and do not disturb until you see them floating on top. If they turn lumpy gently separate them.
- When they turn crunchy remove to a colander. A plate or kitchen tissue tends to make them soft quickly.
- Before adding the next batch of corn to oil, ensure the oil is hot enough again.
Seasoning crispy corn
- Add all the fried crispy corn to a bowl. Sprinkle red chili powder, cumin powder and chaat masala.
- Immediately remove to serving plates. Sprinkle some onions and chopped coriander leaves..
- Serve crispy corn immediately. If desired just squeeze in few drops of lemon juice.