To make croutons, cut thick slices of bread into cubes, discarding crusts. Place on absorbent paper and microwave until hard, 3-4 minutes, turning often. Melt 40 g butter and mix until butter is absorbed.
- 1 head of celery
- 1 onion
- 100 g walnuts
- 50 g butter or margarine
- 50 g plain flour
- 1.15 liters chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 100 g Stilton cheese
- 2 tbsp port (optional)
- celery curls and leaves, or croutons
- Chop the celery, onion and walnuts.
- Cook the vegetables in the butter or margarine until softened.
- Reduce the heat, stir in the walnuts and flour.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring all the time.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Season the soup, then transfer it to a liquidiser and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to a saucepan and reheat over a low heat .
- Crumble the Stilton and add it to the soup , then stir in the port, if using.
- Pour the soup into individual soup bowls and garnish with celery curls and leaves or croutons.