- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (12.5 — ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets or 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked ham diced (optional)
How To Prepare
Place butter, onion, and garlic in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat. Cook until onions are translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook another five minutes.
Whisk in milk, half and half, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir in broccoli florets and chicken stock.
Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 25-30 minutes, until broccoli has cooked through and is fork-tender. Stir in 1 cup of cheese, reserving remaining cheese for sprinkling on top of each bowl as served and ham, if using.